Thursday, August 25, 2011

Twenty Bookish Questions for the Lazy Blogger

I found these questions by way of Leeswammes' Blog and because I love lists/memes and am kind of at a loss for what to post lately, I decided to answer them also. YAY FOR ANSWERING STUFF!!!

1. What book has been on your shelf the longest?
I... have no idea, but there are two I can think of that I've had since I was five. The first is Shel Silverstein's A Light in the Attic, that my aunt gave me. And the second is the (sadly out-of-print) Once There Were Giants, which was from my mom when I was a little snapper. If I've had any books longer than that, I can't think of them.

2. What is your current read, your last read, and the book you'll read next?
Currently reading: The Unfinished Angel, by Sharon Creech
Last read: The Future of Us, by Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler
Next read: I'm not sure yet.

3. What book did everyone like and you hated?
I can think of two books, but I'd rather not say them. I will say that they both belong to my favorite genre and maybe you know what they are?

4. What book do you keep telling yourself you'll read, but you probably won't?
Firefly Lane, by Kristin Hannah. I've had this one on my shelf for most of this year and I keep telling myself I should read it next (I pretty much never buy books and then not read them), but it's just so big and the few pages I read of it didn't immediately pull me in. So. You know. It could sit there for a few more years, honestly.

5. Which book are you saving for "retirement?"
I don't... even understand the question.

6. Last page: read it first or wait until the end?
Oh goodness. Blogger confession: I used to be horrible about this. I pretty much always read the last page first. It took me, I don't know, a few YEARS to realize that this was ruining the books for me and now I definitely don't do it.

7. Acknowledgements: waste of ink and paper or interesting aside?
OMG HOW IS THIS EVEN A QUESTION!!?? I love the acknowledgements. Love. Them. I can't imagine why a person wouldn't, honestly.

8. Which book character would you switch places with?
Forever? Or just for a short period of time, like a day or a week? Because I don't think I'd switch places with anyone forever, but if it could be a week I'd be Penny Lane, from The Lonely Hearts Club. I'm so jealous of her great friendships.

9. Do you have a book that reminds you of something specific in your life (a person, a place, a time)?
Oh yes. More than one. serafina67 reminds me of ME. Sweethearts reminds me of a a few of my favorite-ever people.  Flirt Club reminds me of my Horizons class in middle school. I Now Pronounce You Someone Else reminds me of another person I love. Some Girls Are reminds me of a former friendship. All Alone in the Universe reminds me of many points in my life. Do I need to keep going? Because there are a ton. Many more.

10. Name a book you acquired in some interesting way.
I've actually gotten quite a lot of books in interesting ways, but the first that comes to mind is The Year of Secret Assignments. I found it years ago at a used bookstore - bought it, read it, loved it, but figured I'd never reread it, so I re-donated it to the bookstore. Fast-foward a few whiles and the bookstore is in a new location but amazingly, nobody has bought the book. So after much deliberating, I bought it again. I BOUGHT THAT BOOK TWICE. FROM THE SAME STORE. THE SAME EXACT COPY.

11. Have you ever given a book away to a special person for a special reason?
But of course! But mostly the special reasons are just "I want you to read this." (I'm a complex individual, I know.)

12. Which book has been with you to the most places?
Whenever I go out of town I take my Bible with me, but I honestly don't travel much, to say the least. I've also taken Red with me quite a few places.

13. Any required reading you hated in high school that wasn't so bad ten years later?
Ugh. If in six more years I love any of the books I hated having to read in high school, hit me with something. Please.

14. What is the strangest item you've ever found in a book?
Nothing that strange, really, just notes mostly. Scribbles. I wish I could find something awesome in a book.

15. Used or brand new?
I prefer brand new books of course, but I'm not that picky. I do like my books to be in good shape, but I'll take either. Some books are actually better with some wear and tear.

16. Steven King: literary genius or opiate of the masses?
Why are those the only choices? In fairness I've only read one of King's novels (The Long Walk), but I'm not sure I'd categorize him as either of these things. Though he is brilliant, story-wise.

17. Have you ever seen a movie you liked better than the book?
A Walk to Remember, for sure. I adore the movie but really really wasn't a fan of the book; I haven't read a Nicholas Sparks novel since, but I continue to watch and love his movies. And I know there have been others (very, very few), but I can't think of them right now.

18. Conversely, which book should have never hit the silver screen?
There are many, but I'll go with Sarah Dessen's novels. How to Deal was a poor, poor imitation of what makes her books so great.

19. Excluding cookbooks, have you ever read a book that's made you hungry?
Anna and the French Kiss -- all those breads! I just... I love bread. Like, a lot. A LOT.

20. Who is the person whose book advice you'll always take?
I have to say Khyrinthia, from Frenetic Reader. Our book tastes don't exactly match up, but she's scary-accurate at predicting whether or not I'll like a certain book. Her advice is always warranted.

13 comments:

  1. I have no clue for #3 but I'm totally curious! the only book I remember you seeming to hate was the one about the girl becoming a beatle (which just sounded kinda weird in general). also Anna and the French kiss is full of bread?! that makes me soo sad. I'm looking forward to reading it at some point and I'm still getting used to celiac disease, I think I may have to hold off a bit longer till my cravings aren't so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoë
    Nooo, I didn't hate the Beatles book! I didn't think it was all that great, but I definitely didn't hate it. Also, GAH - Anna is a GREAT book, but yeah, I'd definitely suggest waiting until your cravings aren't so bad before reading it. However, there's also lots of other foods and I'm not sure what all you can/can't have with celiac disease, but maybe you could just drink lots of hot chocolate (which is also a big thing in the book) while you read it? If that's possible?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to guess The Duff and umm, maybe Fixing Deliah? Not to sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and I guess I was wrong about the beatles book, maybe I just thought I would hate it ;)

    hot chocolate is okay, I'll have to snuggle up with some and a copy of the novel sometime this winter. It's honestly gotten SO MUCH hype that I've been putting it off til I can read it with a fresher mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zoë
    OH GOODNESS, now I have to keep saying "no I don't hate that book, no I don't hate that book" until the right books come up. LOLOL. But for the record you're wrong again. (Fixing Delilah in particular is a book I LIKE, it just didn't live up to what I was expecting and I felt like it wasn't as good as Ockler's first novel.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zoë
    oh also also I have messaged you on Goodreads. So you should check that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh you definitely will have to! haha I'll try again in the morning. are they books you've reviewed on the blog? I may have to stalk your archives to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I AM? I always feel like I have no idea when you will like things. xD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, fun questions!

    I like the acknowledgements too.

    I used to read the last page of the books I was reading as a teenager but they were just dumb regency romances so...

    I happen to think Stephan King is a good writer. I haven't read all his books and I don't really have a desire to but lately I've heard some mean things about him and I have to disagree with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read two really awesome acknowledgment pages lately- Will Grayson, Will Grayson and Beauty Queens. Honestly, even if you don't read those books check out the pages, they are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bahahaha to #5! This list was great! Like a little mini-interview. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Khy
    HAHA, that's funny because you're more right than most everyone else as far as book advice/recs go.

    Jenny
    I've only read one King novel, and part of On Writing but there's a REASON he's so famous and best-selling: he's talented and hard-working.

    Also, as someone who's been through the querying process a few times, acknowledgement pages are not only awesome but often really really helpful, too.

    Zoë
    I will definitely do that!

    thatcovergirl
    LOL, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Acknowledgments are sometimes my favorite part! Especially the last two sentences or so that are generally saved for the author's significant other and make me believe romantic love exists in reality. Only not quite so mushy-sounding.

    I'm definitely going to be doing this Q eventually. The questions are all so cool!

    ReplyDelete