Saturday, May 5, 2012

All The Books: May 5, 2012

BOOKS I'M READING
 
I read Shooting Stars, which was cute but forgettable. And then My Invisible Boyfriend, which I was really nervous about not liking (the author's previous book is one of my absolute absolute faaaavorites). And though the book had plenty of flaws, it was quirky and sweet enough for me. At the moment I'm reading Little Princes: One Man's Promise To Bring Home The Lost Children of Nepal. My sister loves this book and I finally agreed to read it. So far it's very interesting and not nearly as depressing as I was afraid of it being.

BOOKS ON THE LIST
In a true testament of the effect a good cover/title can have on me there's the fact that I immediately added the forthcoming (but not until Dec.) Love And Other Perishable Items to my wanting list despite having seen the Australian version, Good Oil, numerous times before and never wanted to read it. So, bravo to whoever came up with the American title and cover. (Also, my local library actually has Good Oil in stock -- no idea how -- and I'm still going to wait on the US version of the book.) I've also added Prodigy, the second in Marie Lu's Legend series, to my list. The first one was so good and I'm eager to see Lu's futuristic world develop. I'm also really excited about Diverse Energies, the upcoming dystopian short story collection featuring racially diverse stories -- including one by Cindy Pon. (I'm extra excited about this one.)

BOOK COVERS
This book is out in September and I love the cover. However, since the book is paranormal there's a good chance I'm not going to read it, despite the fact that I adore both Siobhan Vivian and Jenny Han's writing. There's not a very clear summary for it yet, so I'll have to wait and see what the "supernatural element" is, but anyway I love the cover.

8 comments:

  1. Love And Other Perishable Items and Burn for Burn look really interesting to me. I'll be waiting your review on little princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I probably won't be reviewing Little Princes on the blog (though maybe on GR); I don't tend to review books that don't fall under the umbrella of YA (or if they're nonfiction, are somehow related).

      Delete
  2. I do love the covers for Love and Other Perishable Items (and that title) and Burn for Burn. I wondered if the girls are maybe into witchcraft...like the movie The Craft. ;) Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, MAYBE SO. I hadn't thought of that but you're probably right...

      Delete
  3. I just got an unrequested ARC of Burn for Burn and it instantly made me think of you since you've raved about both authors in the past (and I've read neither). But since I have an ARC I'll probably give it a chance. I totally didn't realize it had a paranormal element though. Well I'll definitely be reviewing it if I do read it so you can always stop by and check out my thoughts in September :)

    The Love and other Perishables has the most adorable cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright, my link is finally up, so I had a chance to read through this. I AM SO EXCITED FOR BURN FOR BURN, simply because of the cover. And Love and Other Perishables looks so good! And I'm not usually a contemporary person. It has to be just right.

    Do you use NetGalley? Because it's already up for requests, jsyk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use NetGalley but I maybe should. I mean, I have an ereader so there's no reason not to except that getting the books from NG to the kindle has been a huge pain every time I try. haha.

      Delete