Friday, March 25, 2011

FIVE BOOKS I DIDN'T THINK I'D LIKE...

  1. Anna and the French Kiss - Sure, everybody rave rave raved about this novel when it came out, but I had a strong gut feeling that I'd be the lone blogger to just not like it. Surprisingly just the opposite happened: it was even better than the hype and I loved it more than I ever would have predicted.
  2. Sea - Another novel that I'd heard good things about but was wary going into. However, the fact that I stopped my own writing and spent the entire day curled up with Sea's adventure speaks for itself.
  3. Break - This book just didn't appeal to me at first. It wasn't until Cindy Pon said it seemed like something I'd love that I read it (thank you, Cindy!) and OMG am I ever glad I did. Amazing amazing amazing.
  4. Twilight - I resisted reading Twilight for so long because, like with Break, it just didn't appeal to me. I didn't think I'd like it at all but I picked it up after a friend recommended it so strongly and couldn't believe I hadn't read it yet.
  5. The Luxe - I don't read historical and I'm not a fan of Gossip Girl, which I'd heard this series compared to. In fact, I don't remember what ever compelled me to pick it up (maybe that gorgeous dress on the cover?) but whatever reason, it's now one of my favorite-ever series.
So tell me, what books did you not expect to like only to be surprised when you discovered that you loved them?

4 comments:

  1. I had a very similar feeling about Anna and the French Kiss and was also very much surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I read Twilight when it first came out and then quickly devoured the rest of the series as soon as they were published (an yes enjoyed each and everyone). One of my students swear by Luxe and I hope to eventually read this one although I am not sure I will like it, so perhaps I too will be surprise once again. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to get along to reading Anna and the French Kiss. I'm waiting on it from the library and all the hype has gotten me hyped up to get started!

    I haven't read Sea, Break or Luxe but Sea and Luxe are on my list already. I shall now add Break! This TBR list is insane...

    I liked the Twilight series as well. It wasn't my favourite book but it was definitely an entertaining series.

    Can I just say that I adore your header? It's gorgeous. New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon
    I enjoyed all of the Twilight series until we got to Breaking Dawn. And the Luxe series is one of my favorites; I really recommend it.

    Story Queen
    First of all, thanks so much for following!
    And also: YES, read ANNA a.s.a.p. It's amazinnngggg. Haha glad to be able to add to your TBR list... my gorgeous header was made by the same lovely blogger who runs Lauren Oliver's fan site (http://deliriouslyfalling.blogspot.com/) & designed her blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't come across this situation yet. I'm so incredibly picky when it comes to picking up books and I don't have very much time to read, so when I DO pick up a book, it's a book that I expect to like, or even love. Kind of like movies. Kind of like food. I tend to gravitate towards things that I don't believe I'll be wasting time, taste buds, or money on.

    I've ran into way more opposite situations -- where I expected to like a book and didn't, or love a book way less than I thought I would.

    ReplyDelete