Monday, March 5, 2012

Writing: Tired Brain

(via Flickr's Free Use group.)

I'm writing this because I am determined to keep in the habit (the habit I re-started just last week) of having writing-related Monday posts. Word count for the novel is moving  s l o w l y ,  but that's okay. Eventually I'll pick up steam, I think. (Or at least, that's how it usually happens for me.)

Because the word count (and also my brain!) is moving so slowly, I don't have a whole lot to say today. This book is interesting. Five characters, five families and family dynamics (you all know how much I love writing families), and lots of dialogue. Writing this book is making me wonder what "too much dialogue" is. I'm sure it's mostly reader preference, but most of the action in my book so far isn't so much action as just... talking.

I think this is probably normal. For me. This is only a first draft and I tend to get better at writing plot-driven, action-y type scenes later, once I get to the editing process. It's just that I've been editing different novels and been away from first-drafting for so long that a part of my brain has forgotten how to do a first draft and it's just flailing about everything now. I'm sort of remembering it as I go, and then also figuring out new things since sidekicks is written differently from other novels I've written.

No comments:

Post a Comment