Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Grown Up Reading!

I know this is a YA and MG blog, but I have been trying to make a dent in my adult reads lately. I still have a few "grown up" books to read, but I'm proud that I've gotten through about half of them.

Despite being a fan of Jodi Picoult, her books tend to be hit-and-miss for me. This one centered on a man who confesses to mercy-killing his terminally ill wife. It's not my favorite of Picoult's books -- there were a few characters that were too hard to take -- but I loved the courtroom scenes -- just like I usually do in Picoult's novels.

This is actually the first Picoult novel I haven't finished and the reason I didn't had nothing to do with the story and everything to do with the too-gruesome prison scenes. The book itself is centered around a divorced dad who kidnaps his daughter and lives under a false identity until -- when the girl is an adult -- the truth comes out. I think lots of Picoult fans would enjoy this one, but you have to be a bit tougher than I am.

This one I bought just because it sounded funny -- a California mother moving to New York and trying to fit in with all the fancy-pants moms? Kind of like a grown-up version of every mean girl story out there. And it was funny, just not enough to offset the too-immature and often grating characters. It was funny enough and entertaining enough to finish, but not enough to reread. 

What about you? What books outside of your typical genre/s have you read lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment