Saturday, July 7, 2012

All The Books: July 7, 2012

READING
 
Overall, this was a pretty winning week as far as reading goes. I absolutely loved Walk Two Moons (and am giving away a copy over here) and read two other adorable YAs: Time Between Us, which is sort of a teenage version of The Time Traveler's Wife, and Miss Fortune Cookie, which was just so. so. cute.

BOOKS I WANT
I wasn't planning to read it, but while she was visiting my friend convinced me that I have to give The Help a try. I saw (and loved!) the movie, so she better be right when she says that the book is even better.

NEW BOOKS (AKA: BOOKS I JUST HEARD ABOUT)
S&S sent me a surprise review copy of this book, which appears to be a YA sci-fi comedy about a pregnant teenager whose baby daddy is an alien, or is fighting aliens, or something. I don't really know. I do know that it has a lot of 4- and 5-star reviews on Goodreads and that it's something totally different. It's also the first in a planned trilogy, which always makes me nervous for a variety of reasons.

BOOK COVERS
Alright, readers, what do we think of the new covers for Beth Revis' Across the Universe series? (See above for the Shades of Earth cover; the other two books are, I believe, going to be rereleased with matching covers.) Personally, I'm torn. On the one hand these covers are completely sci-fi which I think will draw more/different readers than the original covers. On the other hand I want my covers to match and, if I'm being totally honest, I like the original hardcover covers the best. If I had my druthers I'd like covers that match the reversible/blue/spaceship side of the first book's cover.

3 comments:

  1. Jordyn *waves* Oh...TIME BETWEEN US. LOL you and I just had a long convo about that book ;-)

    I agree with you about AtU's cover. I'm not thrilled that Penguin seems to be redesigning almost all their covers (Sarah Dessen, Beth Revis, Jessica Spotswood, etc.), but I always thought the reverse blue spaceship cover was THE COOLEST! and that it should be the cover/the others should match that one. :-)

    The Help is an excellent book and I really wish Stockett would write another - I'm interested to see what else she can do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I freaking HATE when my covers don't match.

    Also, you pretty much sealed the deal on Time Between Us for me. Seeing Lenore pimp it out had it high on my radar, but any reference to The Time Traveler's Wife makes it a must. I'm looking forward to it even more now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jamie *points above* - I DO NOT like covers that do not match. And yay, so glad to hear that Time Between Us is so good! I knew I would regret not finding that one at BEA! *sulks*

    http://watercolormoods.blogspot.com/2012/07/all-books-july-9-2012.html

    ReplyDelete