Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Books for Keeps

One of the most interesting parts of FAHRENHEIT 451 (yeah, I'm still thinking of that book) was spoiler alert!! the ending, when it was revealed that many of the old readers Guy Montag met in the wilderness had memorized different books, waiting for a time when they might be able to be transcribed again and in the meantime they were able to keep alive books that everyone else had forgotten. Some people had memorized different books of the Bible, some memorized the great works of literature, philosophy, and plays.

So I was thinking,

what book(s) would you memorize, if you could, if there were no copies left and you had to preserve the writing for the future? (And, of course, you had a memory good enough.)

The books I want to preserve would be the book of Psalms and THE LITTLE PRINCE, by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. (Of course, the second would be difficult to preserve without the pictures.)

Anyhow, what books would you want to preserve?

2 comments:

  1. That is such a cool question. I would memorize The Great Gatsby, because I was basically in ecstasy over every word when I read it in class. There are so many possibilities...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh I love THE GREAT GATSBY. It's great.

    ReplyDelete