Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Tuesday 10: Desert Island Books

Oh hey there. Long time no see. This week's topic from The Broke and the Bookish is top ten books you'd want with you on a deserted island. I've a feeling this is going to be a pretty hefty list.

1. The Bible
There is no mucking around when it comes to desert island books (after all, these are the only books you'd ever read again!!) and if I had to choose only one book, this would be it. I'm going to get a bit more specific here actually and say that I'd take my own copy of the Bible because on a desert island I'd probably want my own highlighted passages and margin-notes with me.

2. Gone With the Wind
Margaret Mitchell
Like I said, there's no mucking around with desert island books. Aside from being my favorite-ever novel, it's also a hefty read that takes some time to get through. I'm guessing I'd have lots of time on this island, right?

3. Little Women
Louisa May Alcott
On the one hand this seems like completely ridiculous reading for a deserted island as I always imagine reading Little Women on a cold winter day with hot chocolate and a cozy blanket. But it's a classic and it's a classic I love, so here it is.

4. Tuesdays With Morrie
Mitch Albom
It occurs to me that much of what's in this book is advice on dealing with relationships/society/other people, but are there actually other people on this desert island? Or is it just me and my ten books? I really need more specifics. Still, I'm sure it'd be a good book to have.

5. Survival Wisdom & Know How
The Editors of Stackpole Books
I've never actually read this book. But I did a search for books on how to survive in the wilderness and this was the best-looking one that came up. There's maybe (probably) a better book out there, but I don't know. I'm not an expert on survival books.

6.  Anna and the French Kiss
Stephanie Perkins
Alright, from here on out these are going to be fun reading books instead of hefty classics (great though they may be), life advice books, or survival guides. And as for fun, happy, heartwarming books this one absolutely takes the cake. I think Anna is something I could read over and over and over again.

7. serafina67 *urgently requires life*
Susie Day
And I know I can read this one over and over again, because I have. 

8. Pawnee: The Greatest Town in America
Leslie Knope (who is a fictional character)
I'm going to need the funny if I'm all alone (am I alone?) on a deserted island.

I now have two spots left on the list and am going to leave them blank. I just can't decide which two books I love enough to read again and again for the rest of my life. I'm impressed I even made it to eight, actually. (And because I can't pass up the opportunity, Dwight Schrute's desert island books.)

No comments:

Post a Comment