Tuesday, September 11, 2012

tuesday 10: books that made me think.

This week's topic from The Broke and the Bookish is ten books that made you think. Though pretty much every book I read makes me think in some way, I only chose five (all fiction) for this list.

1. What Alice Forgot
Liane Moriarty
This book amazed me with how, well, amazing it was. It made me think a lot about the sort of life I'd like to lead; if in ten years I end up with a bump on the head that makes me forget the last decade, I don't want to be depressed or ashamed or appalled of the things I end up learning about myself and my life. That sounds a lot more depressing than I meant it to sound; basically, I just want to be sure that I live my life in a way that I can be proud of.

2. The List
Siobhan Vivian
This one made me think not exactly about myself, but about the ways women and girls view ourselves and others. Especially when it comes to appearances. It's so easy to get wrapped up in one little word and The List shows how complex outside appearances -- and how they effect us on the inside -- really are.

3. Bunheads
Sophie Flack
So often pursuing your dream is shown as the ULTIMATE ULTIMATE, but I loved how Bunheads really showed that sometimes you have to make a choice between your dream (or what you think is your dream) and something that's also important (maybe even more important). I love writing and being an author is absolutely my dream, but I'm not willing for it to be an at-the-cost-of-anything dream. There are some things more important.

4. Legend (Legend #1)
Marie Lu
I love this one. I rarely get sucked up in trying to figure out what's going to happen next as far as world-building goes the way I did with this book. I feel like there's a bit of alternate-history here (or maybe alternate-future, though that's not a thing) and it's a world that I can't wait to discover more about. (I think I've just talked myself into reading my ARC of the sequel, Prodigy, next.)

5. Before I Fall
Lauren Oliver
As with What Alice Forgot, this is one that also makes a person (ie. me. or you, if you've read the book, probably) think about the type of person you and the type of person you want to be. Plus, you know, it's just a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment