Friday, September 21, 2012

books as musical genres

Today the thought occurred to me that it would be awesome to do a blog post on book/music genres. Specifically saying "if you like this genre (of music), you'll like (these books)." Good idea? Bad idea? Whatever, I'm going with it.

country music books -- (topics include: family, rural & small-town living, loss, redemption, love, etc.)

Second Chance Summer, by Morgan Matson
Songs/Artists I think of: Carrie Underwood comes to mind. So does, on a lighter note, Little Big Town's new song "Pontoon."

Tiger Lily, by Jodi Lynn Anderson
Songs/Artists I think of: Miranda Lambert, 100%. Tiger Lily has the same feisty, angry-girl spirit and there's the same longing/desperation in this book as are in many of her songs.

Bittersweet, by Sarah Ockler
Songs/Artists I think of: Taylor Swift (her earlier stuff), especially songs like "Change."

pop music books -- (topics include: love, infatuation, sex, fame, and occasional nonsense lyrics)

The Best Night of Your (Pathetic) Life, by Tara Altebrando
Songs/Artists I think of: Katy Perry's "TGIF" and Ke$ha. Also Hope Partlow. I could probably think of a lot for this one.

Unbreak My Heart, by Melissa Walker
Songs/Artists I think of: Taylor Swift, again. Can't help it.

Reunited, by Hilary Weisman Graham
Songs/Artists I think of: Vampire Weekend and The Veronicas.

rock music books -- (topics include: i don't know - love, anger, and everything in-between?)

Adios, Nirvana, by Conrad Wesselhoeft
Songs/Artists I think of: U2, Tony Lucca.

The List, by Siobhan Vivian
Songs/Artists I think of: Pink, Kelly Clarkson.

Graffiti Moon, by Cath Crowley
Songs/Artists I think of: Boys Like Girls, Coldplay, possibly Paramore.

I know there are more genres -- indie, which is sort of hard to define (at least for me) and alternative (ditto) and a slew of subgenres of pop. And while I'd love to dive more into those and get really specific, I'm also a bit lazy and tired. So what do you think -- do you ever think of books in terms of musical genres or is that just me?

2 comments:

  1. I love this...I've never thought of books as music genres, but I think it makes for a really cool blog post and I might have to steal it sometime :)
    ~Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a pretty cute idea! And plus, the choices make total sense to me, at least for the ones I've read. Totally love that Boys Like Girls, the Veronicas and Taylor Swift are among your musical choices - I love these three artists!

    ReplyDelete