Thursday, September 29, 2011

On Titles

Whenever I try to do a post on titles it turns into a mess, but the truth is that titles intrigue me. Especially titles for books that aren't out yet and might not even have a title or synopsis. For those of us who follow our favorite authors on Twitter and their blogs, a title is often the first we find out about any upcoming books and I often find myself adding books to my wishlist based solely on the author and title. And then, once I read a book, the title often takes on a slightly new meaning. The book either lives down or lives up to its title, depending on how good the story and title are.

Here are some titles to a few books I've read somewhat recently.

Jessie <3 NYC - Honestly, even if I hadn't read Keris Stainton's previous novel and wasn't already a fan of her having talked to her a bit on Twitter, I still would have wanted to read this based on the title alone. It's so cute! So New-York-y and also a bit internet-y at the same time

The Day Before - I'm sure this title is probably one meant to provoke questions (the day before what, exactly?) but for me it just hit as a very bland title, similar to Sometimes It Happens. What drew me to this book instead was the fact that I like the author (are we sensing a trend here?) and the fact that the book is told in verse, which I love.

Before I Fall - You guys, it took way too long for me to actually "get" this title, but now that I do I absolutely love it and think it fits the book perfectly.

How to Say Goodbye in Robot - This is one of those titles that I completely love and it was a huge part of the reason I wanted to read the book in the first place. And it does fit the story, but I think the title is, overall, better than the book, which always leaves me with a strange feeling of unmet potential.

So what about you guys - do you pay attention to titles? And if so, how much? Does it affect your reading/buying habits? What are some of your favorite titles?

3 comments:

  1. We love looking for where EXACTLY in the book the inspiration for the title came from. Usually it's a specific line :) Love this post!

    Sash and Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ABSOLUTELY love reading book titles. And seeing how they fit within the story of the novel.

    Here are a some of my favorites (whether I've read the book or not):

    It's Kind of a Funny Story
    Married with Zombies
    You Killed Wesley Payne
    Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick
    Total Constant Order
    Alien Invasion and Other Inconveniences
    Warm Bodies
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
    One Seriously Messed-Up Week: in the Otherwise Mundane and Uneventful Life of Jack Samsonite

    I could go on forever...but there are LOTS of 'em, as you can see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sash and Em
    YES! I do the same thing. Or if it's not from a line in the book, which theme it was taken from in the book. :)

    thatcovergirl
    Ah! I like a lot of those (Married with Zombies... LOL), but too-long titles tend to bother me after a while, as awesome as the titles might be.

    ReplyDelete