Wednesday, July 31, 2013

55 Reading Questions (21-30)


21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
Knowing that it's a book someone I know will connect with, or just really liking a book myself if a friend is a reader. I gave my dad Code Name Verity (which he still hasn't finished) because he's an aviator and I knew he'd love the adventure of it. 

22. Favorite genre?
Contemporary YA.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did)?
I wish I read more science fiction. I love sci-fi movies and shows, but it's sometimes hard to find novels I connect with as much. Thankfully, in the post-Across the Universe publishing world, this is changing. (Thank you, Beth Revis!)

24. Favourite biography?
I read a biography of Amelia Earhart when I was younger that I absolutely loved, but I don't remember the name of it. I also really really loved Don't Kill the Birthday Girl, but that's really a memoir.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
The only true "self-help" book I can think of that I've read is Don't Panic, a book about dealing with anxiety attacks, by R. Reid Wilson, and I didn't even read the whole thing. I just tended to skip around and find the parts that I thought would help me.

26. Favourite cookbook?
My mom has a 1950's Betty Crocker cookbook that I absolutely LOVE. 

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
Golden, by Jessi Kirby. The prologue to that book (and I'm not usually a fan of prologues) was so, so amazing, as was the unfolding of the mystery in the book itself. A really inspiring "make your life your own" sort of book.

28. Favorite reading snack?
Iced tea. Which I know is not a food, but really, I love it.

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
Oh, I don't know. I'm not big into hype. I've definitely read books where I finished and was like, "really? this is what everyone's crowing about?" but it wasn't the hype itself that ruined the book for me; I just didn't enjoy the book and couldn't see what was so great about it.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
I don't pay attention to critics really. And since most of what I read is YA it's not getting a whole ton of coverage (as far as reviews) in newspapers, etc. But usually when I read a review of any sort I can at least see where they're coming from, even if I don't agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment