Monday, January 2, 2012

2012 Reading Goals

I never do reading challenges. As tempting as it is to type a number into that little Goodreads box, the idea of forcing myself to read a certain number of books in a year just doesn't sit right with me. It takes away a little bit of the joy. Similarly, though I always tend to read a lot of debut novels, I never officially join any debut challenge, genre challenges, or any other sort of reading challenge. It just doesn't sit well with me.

That said, there are definitely some reading goals I want to set for myself this year. I'm not putting numbers to anything, but am instead leaving my goals a bit intentionally vague, to allow for whatever little reading surprises might lie ahead. So, here goes...

In 2012 I want to...

1. read more nonfiction. Specifically I want to read Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother and more books in the vein of Odd Girl Out. I want to read whatever memoirs (Mindy Kaling's book!) that catch my attention, but I also want to read some educational-but-not-dry books that catch my interest. However, I refuse to feel guilty about not finishing a nonfiction book, especially as so many that I start to read really, really bore me.

2. read more adult novels. Particularly I want to read Sisterhood Everlasting and The Weird Sisters. Other than that, I'm not sure, but please suggest novels you think I'd like. I tend to have a hard time finding really great adult novels a lot of the time. And I pretty much refuse to read books I don't like when there's so much out there that I do like. So, help me out?

3. make an effort to read YA sci-fi. Cinder and A Million Suns are at the top of this list, but I really do want to seek out YA sci-fi that's not necessarily dystopian. (I know, I know, the Across the Universe series is sort of considered a dystopian by some.)

4. look for sophomore novels. Somewhere out there there's a sophomore novels challenge and if I were going to join a challenge, it would probably be that one. I'm really looking forward to a lot of second books from great YA authors this year.

5. read debuts. Well, duh. (This one is always a focus of mine, but I thought I'd include it anyway.)


Tell me, what are your reading goals for 2012?

1 comment:

  1. I bet you would like Sarah Addison Allen for adult novels, her prose is delicious. Angie over at Angieville reads adult novels from time to time and her recommendations are golden.

    Also Shanyn over at chickloveslit.com is the one who is hosting the sophomore novel challenge.

    Best of luck with your reading goals :-)

    ReplyDelete